Monday 8 September 2014

Your Latest Trick, Dire Straits.


loving someone who doesn't love you back is injurious to health. 

Now that that's out of the way, I daydreamed for a lot of the day today. This one recurring theme is just you and me waltzing to the Dire Straits. It's 1986. We're in a small pub somewhere in London. You can smell the musk from the walls. People either passed out, or too tired to care. You and I just waltzing. There's a band playing live, and right now, they're the best music in the world. The music seeps into the air. Your perfume is intoxicating. I can smell the music in it. It's late. We're just moving. Up and down and left and right. It feels like a dream. Having someone to hold. Time slows down and everything stops. You notice. I stop feeling your breath on my neck. I can see your eyes now. We're face to face. I'm lost. Your eyes. Like a flash of colour in a black and white world. You notice. You smile. You give me a minute. You're talking. You're saying something. Your face is distracting. Your beauty isn't helpful. I try to pay attention to what you're saying. I'm not doing a good job. You start laughing. I can't help but smile.

You're sitting up, your back against a tree. My head in your lap. You're reading to me. Your words swirl and surround me. Music to my ears. You're telling me a story. I don't know what it's about, but I like where we are right now. We just are.

A long time ago, I locked myself away. Inside my mind. I began to create people, because I forgot who I was. Somewhere, somehow, you found the key. I finally began to understand who I am. I stopped creating people for the benefit of societal interaction. That was the biggest mistake I ever made. I'm certain now that nobody likes me for who I am. I'm certain that I'm going to hide behind me. Not me, me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment